Friday, January 10, 2014

A health dilemma

 
Okay so I am very stuck in a health dilemma - after having had skin cancer and several procedures to removing offending or suspicious looking spots on my skin, I have listened to the warnings of my dermatologist and religiously applied sunscreen and avoided the big yellow ball in the sky.  So far this sounds like a good thing - right?  Well not exactly, I am now taking a special Vitamin D supplement because my level of Vitamin D is very low, according to my recent blood work.   Yup - I am confused - sun is bad but not having any sun can cause other problems from vitamin deficiency.  A quick internet search reveals a host of possible ailments related to low vitamin D. 

 
Now I am even more confused, I love spending time in the warm Arizona sun but I have tried hard to avoid excessive sun exposure because I do not love getting things removed from my skin.  Even looking online for some direction for dietary sources of vitamin D only list a few foods, mostly just Vitamin D enriched milk.  We won't even begin to discuss the controversy about whether milk and dairy is actually a healthy choice.  This feels a bit like a no-win scenario, but I will take the supplements that the doctor ordered, and I will make an effort to increase my exercise level so I am healthier in general, and reducing my weight should also be helpful for this vitamin D deficiency as well (although another confusing point online says that low vitamin D causes weight gain, yet low vitamin is more common in people who are overweight).  One bright spot, I am not alone - even actress Gwyneth Paltrow was recently diagnosed with very low levels of vitamin D.  According to one  website "Vitamin D absorbs calcium from the digestion system and deposits it in our bones, protecting children against rickets and adults against the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/could-a-lack-of-vitamin-d-be-making-813009#ixzz2q3Sl6IYX
The article goes on to explain how vitamin D plays a role in boosting the immune system.  Unlike other vitamins - we get most of our vitamin D from the sun, so this leaves people like me with a serious dilemma, which is worse, sun exposure and possible skin cancer or Vitamin D deficiency and a whole host of problems including osteoporosis and higher risk for cancer. 

 
I don't normally fall into the hype of latest health trends, but instead, this challenge found me.  I guess I need to find an effective Vitamin D supplement on an ongoing basis and I will need to remember my mother's advice to drink my milk. 


1 comment:

  1. Vitamin D is actually a hormone and not a vitamin and most people are deficient in it so you are not alone. The D in milk and food is mostly D2. The sun is D3. The hubby and I started taking a liquid D3 supplement as the capsules we took in the past were not working for us. The liquid is da bomb! We have both been sleeping like babies at night now!

    ReplyDelete